Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Desert Flowers Earrings


I have Tauriel's "Desert Flowers Bracelet" tutorial, which you can buy HERE, but I decided that I didn't care for it as a bracelet, especially with CzechMates beads. It just seemed too bulky on my skinny wrist or something. But, I came up with another way to use the basic motif and made it a little smaller and more delicate at the same time. I used Tila beads instead of CzechMates. I found that Tila beads actually work better than CzechMates. It has been quite a while since I made these sample earrings so I don't remember if I changed anything about the pattern. I don't think that I did except that I had to come up with some way to attach the earring wires.

UPDATE 4/22/2022: This pattern is no longer available.

If you do try this yourself with Tila beads, I don't recommend using FireLine or Nymo B thread. They're too thin to give the earring enough structure to hold its shape so I suggest using Nymo D. I also had to weave around the motif quite a few times until it became good and stable and didn't fold up on itself.

I used the same "Golden Shadow AB" bicones for all of my samples. After trying various colors, I decided that a neutral color looked the best. In fact, I tried to be careful not to use any color combinations where there was a lot of contrast between the beads. When I did that, it caused the darker beads to stand out too much and everything else became invisible. I also liked the effect of the AB finish on the bicones. They give the earrings just a hint of sparkle, which keeps them from looking a little bland. Even with the bit of "bling" from the bicones, I think these make cute casual earrings that would go very well with blue jeans.

I've only made one complete pair of these earrings so far and I sent them to Teejay. I like all of these sample colors so I just need to find the time to make them all.




  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • Tila beads "Matte Metallic Bronze" (TL-2006)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Smoky Topaz Luster"
  • 4mm bicones "Golden Shadow AB - #C25 AB" (Beads One)


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • Tila beads "Light Amethyst Gold Luster" (TL-316)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Bronze Illusion"
  • 4mm bicones "Golden Shadow AB - #C25 AB" (Beads One)


  • 15/0 seed beads Matsuno "Copper" (457A)
  • 8/0 seed beads Matsuno "Copper" (457A)
  • Tila beads "Antique Bronze" (TL-457C) *
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Bronze Olivine"
  • 4mm bicones "Golden Shadow AB - #C25 AB" (Beads One)
* Also called "Metallic Dark Raspberry Iris" (TL-457B)


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • Tila beads "Matte Metallic Steel Gray" (TL-2064)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Light Sapphire Gold Marbled"
  • 4mm bicones "Golden Shadow AB - #C25 AB" (Beads One)


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Mink Bronze" (D4213)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Mink Bronze" (D4213)
  • Tila beads "Matte Olive Rose" (TL-2035) *
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Transparent Topaz Pink Luster"
  • 4mm bicones "Golden Shadow AB - #C25 AB" (Beads One)
* This color also goes by other names so go by the number.




4 comments:

  1. I purchased the pattern and made a pair? They are the cutest! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What colors did you use? Can you post a photo of them on Pinterest? I'd love to see them.

      Delete
  2. The link to the pattern on Etsy says it is no longer available. I think I can figure it out but wanted to thank you for the reference to Beads One. They don't have bicones right now but I got great prices on pearls & rondelles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbs. I see what you mean. I found her Etsy shop but that pattern is no longer for sale there. You might try contacting her to see if she will sell you a copy. TaurielDesign

      Delete