Friday, October 3, 2014

Playing with my beads..."Noah" Earrings


I tried another earring pattern a couple days ago and with a couple of tweaks they turned out quite nice. The pattern is a free one from Elfenatelier and you can download it HERE.

If you make the earrings according to the pattern, they have a tendency to cup toward the back. I figured out a way to prevent that. After you make the pattern as directed, flip the earring over and add the same netting to the back as you made on the front. I'm talking about the first netting that you add around the rondelles with three 15/0 seed beads in each section. This time though, you don't add the center seed bead. You go through the existing bead from the other side so the netting on both sides shares the same center bead on the edge. This extra step makes a huge difference in the feel of the earring. It's a lot more solid and it stays flat.

I also changed the loop at the top of my earrings. If you look closely at the amber earring in the photo above, I picked up three 15/0 seed beads on each side of the base of the loop. I've since decided that four is better than three. The extra beads make it easier to pop out the 11/0 seed beads where they connect just below the top section of the loop.

By the way, they also have another free earring pattern that calls for the same kinds of beads. However, the link to the pattern from their main page takes you to the wrong tutorial. I managed to track down the correct link and you can download the "Tanya" HERE. I might give that pattern a try this afternoon.


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 6mm rondelles "Brown/Topaz AB - #C29AB" (Beads One)
  • 4mm bicones "Smoked Topaz AB - #C29AB" (Beads One)
  • SuperDuo beads "Yellow Dark Travertin"


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Antique Silver-Nickel" (464A)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Antique Silver-Nickel" (464A)
  • 6mm rondelles "Jet"
  • 4mm bicones "Purple AB" (I got these from China)
  • SuperDuo beads "Metallic Suede Dark Purple"


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 6mm rondelles "Crimson AB" (no info available)
  • 4mm bicones "Siam - #C44" (Beads One
 

2 comments:

  1. I love the colours that you used. I've tried making them last night but they don't shape up too well. Can you please tell me if the rondelles you used are 6x4mm or 6x8mm?
    thank you so much and keep up the great work you've done so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. I found that pattern to be kind of finicky. The earrings tend to come out wonky but maybe that's because I used Chinese rondelles. I used 4x6mm rondelles.

      Delete