Saturday, July 19, 2014

Video Tutorial: Sidonia's Oriental Earrings


This sample earring is hot off the needle. I just heard this morning from Jeanie Callaghan that Sidonia has a new video tutorial on YouTube as of yesterday. She was already selling this pattern in her Etsy shop, HERE, but now you can watch the video HERE and make the earrings for free.

I don't have any 10mm pearls so I had to use a round crystal bead instead. Since I made this as I was watching the video for the first time, I didn't know what Sidonia was going to do ahead of time. So, when I remake this, I will add the wire loop and drop bead to what are currently the sides of my earring so that the center bead is sitting with the hole going up and down instead of from side-to-side.

I also just grabbed some beads quick to make this without a lot of thought about the colors. I actually like the pewter seed beads with the bronze ones. I've used that color combination in the past and forgot how well I like it. It adds a sort of antique/vintage look to the beadwork. As you can see, I did make a change to the design by putting the drop bead at the bottom. Sidonia does mention this as an option in the video. This does make a rather large earring but the size would be perfect as a small pendant on a necklace if you're not in favor of large earrings.

So, everybody get out your needle and thread and beads and give the video a try today. Post your photos on my group Pinterest board if you like so that we can all see your earrings. I think it will be fun to see the different color combinations everyone comes up with. If you haven't already joined the group, click HERE for information about how to join us. I should warn you that MOST of the time, Pinterest wants me to use your email address to "invite" you to the board. Every now and then, it will accept a username but that's pretty rare. If you'd rather not post your email address in the comments here on the blog, send it to me by email. You'll find my address at the bottom of that post about the group board.


I will post again later after I make a another sample.

SUPPLIES THAT I USED IN MY SAMPLE:
  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (15-457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (11-457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki Duracoat "Pewter" (11-D4222)
  • 10mm round crystal "#C12 AB" (Beads One)
  • 3mm pearls "Beige - #10" (Beads One)
  • 3mm bicones "Purple AB" (from China)
  • 5x7mm fire polished drop bead (no info available)
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you beat me to it! I have just now finished my first earring. Will post on the Pinterest group soon. I wanted to make it basically teal for my daughter, Jennifer's birthday. Love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. There is a link to the video in my post above. Look in the first paragraph.

      Delete